Saturday, November 15, 2008

Thoughts on Juntas

I updated Two Shots in the Dark again. Ch 4, Escaping (Mostly) Unscathed, is now UP!

In this chapter: the consequences when Lucius announces to his Lord that he has resigned from his post at the Ministry and enlisted the help of a perfect stranger to their cause, a wizarding corporation executive. Will he live or will he die???

HA. I saw the new James Bond movie Quantum of Solace yesterday when it came out, and all the talk about dictatorships and juntas sparked some major inspiration in me for Two Shots. Essentially Voldy operates a junta (or coup d'etat, whichever language you prefer) in most of HBP and DH. But in Two Shots, Scrimgeour strikes an alliance with Muggle leaders and carries out most of his plans that way, undermining his advisors--thereby creating less chance of a coup. Muggles, after all, are too ignorant to form one in the wizarding world. But could Voldy split the Muggles into two or more feuding factions (too easy, in my opinion) and make each think they would benefit from overthrowing the Ministry? Could these mini-juntas succeed?

Gosh, I consider myself pretty politically knowledgable but I'm way in over my head. I think I've been reading too many Orson Scott Card ENDER series books, with all those entangling military/political schemes. SHAMELESS PLUG: Shadow of the Hegemon by Orson Scott Card is possibly the most fascinating book ever published. READ IT!!! =]

Ugh, nobody should torture themselves in this fashion. My head hurts--and yours surely will too after reading all this, so I strongly encourage you NOT to read it. haha.

~CSG aka Gabby GotMoney Chang aka ladylizard424. man, so many aliases.

No comments: